Exploring the Benefits of ChatGPT for Data Professionals
If we ask ChatGPT, “What is ChatGPT?” it responds with the following:
ChatGPT is an AI-powered language model developed by OpenAI. It is capable of generating text in response to prompts, providing answers to questions, and completing tasks that require language understanding and generation. It is trained on a large corpus of text data and uses state-of-the-art deep-learning techniques to produce coherent and relevant responses. ChatGPT is often used for natural language processing applications, such as conversational AI and language translation.
The answer provided does not begin to cover all the capabilities offered by the language model. For example, professionals working with data can utilize its functionality for many applications. In this post, we will demonstrate some capabilities of ChatGPT that can assist data professionals. Since ChatGPT is a conversational AI bot, it can receive any of the prompts below and provide a human-like answer with a high degree of accuracy.
Explaining concepts (depending on the target audience)
1. Explain Markov Chains in detail as you would to a university professor.
2. Explain Markov Chains as you would to a fifth grader.
3. Explain the differences between Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) and Hamiltonian Monte Carlo (HMC) as you would to an undergraduate computer science student.
Providing helpful information when choosing applicable machine learning algorithms
1. What are some commonly used machine-learning algorithms used to estimate future events based on time-series data?
2. Which regression algorithms typically work best for estimation problems?
Comparisons and recommendations
1. What are the differences between these big data formats: ORC, Parquet, and Avro big data formats?
2. What are the pros and cons of ELT and ETL?
Creating sample code
1. Using Python, write code using the Naive Bayes algorithm to predict the weather for next week based on the weather from the past five years.
2. Using Python, create a dictionary that contains the following details for each US state: state abbreviation, capital, square miles, and if it has a coastline shared with an ocean.
Since ChatGPT is still new, it does contain limitations (e.g., limited contextual understanding, limited knowledge of current events, outdated answers, and bias). ChatGPT and its competitors are continually making improvements to address a lot of these concerns and it should not be relied upon as the sole source of information or as a substitute for human expertise. The results it generates should always be carefully reviewed and verified before making important decisions.
About the Author
Gary Jones is a Delivery Manager for auticon US. Gary has more than 20 years of experience in software development and over a decade in software engineering leadership roles. He specializes in bridging software development, strategy, and innovation for large and entrepreneurial organizations and working with neurodivergent professionals.